Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Yesterday I received an email from an English teacher at the school where I will be going in Japan!!!

I can't believe I was ranting only a few days ago about how much I wanted to know where I was going...and now I know!!!

I'm in for a crazy experience...

Info about where I'll be going in point form

- I'll be going to Kuroishi City in the Aomori Prefecture of Japan (in district 2830)

-It is the Japanese countryside and their 4 seasons are distinct

- There are only about 4 foreigners in my entire city! I will be stared at, pointed at, talked about. People in the city will know everything about me within a month

-I will be going to Kuroishi Senior High. My school actually has a 5 year nursing specialty course, so there are typically more female students than male

- In Aomori, they speak standard Japanese, but they also speak a different dialect of Japanese called Tsugaru-ben. Think of it as country Japanese..maybe..hick Japanese? lol

- Uniform: Brown cardigan with red necktie, white blouse, black skirt, and knee-high socks. No make-up, piercings, or crazy hairstyles allowed

-I will be the only exchange student in my city. My school hasn't had an exchange student in over 5 years

- I'm in for a difficult experience of a lifetime and I am SO EXCITED!

Guess I should study some more before I go eh? It'll be hard enough learning normal Japanese with this dialect floating around.

I don't have info on my host family yet, but the English teacher says that there aren't many english-speakers in rural Japan, so maybe they won't speak english? I might not be in much contact with them until I arrive.

Anyways...I decided to give a brief update...As I am far too excited to stay here typing any longer! Here's a photo of the opening to my High School as compensation for the short post.

1 comment:

  1. Hey nice blog! I found it from Brooke's following list. I'm Dante from Stratford, Ontario and I'm currently in Finland on exchange. You can see my blog here:

    http://dantesdoorway.blogspot.com/

    Anyway, your blog looks great and enjoy your year in Japan! Man, if I went there I would spend so much money on movies and games haha :)

    ReplyDelete